The Quick Response (QR) or 2D bar code has been in use in Japan for over a decade, but it is just starting to pick up steam here in the states. Below, I’ve tried to address FAQ about the QR.
What is it? According to Wikipedia, “A QR Code is a specific matrix barcode (or two-dimensional code), readable by dedicated QR barcode readers and camera phones. The code consists of black modules arranged in a square pattern on a white background. The information encoded can be text, URL or other data.”
How is it used? Wikipedia explains, “Users with a camera phone equipped with the correct reader application can scan the image of the QR Code to display text, contact information, connect to a wireless network, or open a web page in the phone’s browser.” Still confused? Check out this video on YouTube to see how it was used on a “For Sale” sign.
How can I use this technology? The QR provides another way for you to advertise your job openings and direct the applicant to the appropriate site to apply. For example, our applicant tracking system provides the career search search screen http://limacore.appone.com/. With the QR code, I can create a scanable bar code that will direct applicants to http://limacore.appone.com/ to apply. This technology is perfect for signs and job fairs where the applicant can simply scan the QR with their phone and save the URL to apply at a later time.
How do I create a QR for my career site? There are several QR creators out there, but personally I like the free tool from Google. To create your QR, follow these step by step instructions:
- Go to your careers page, and copy the URL of your career page. For example, http://limacore.appone.com/.
- Next, go to http://goo.gl/
- Sign into Google using the link in the top right corner
- Paste your career page URL into the text box and click the shorten button
- After clicking the button, the shortened URL will be created and displayed at the bottom of the screen.
- Click on the Details link
- On the details screen, the stats of your shortened URL will be displayed with your QR
- Copy the QR image and start placing it on your “Now Hiring” materials