5 Tips to Avoid Buying Applicant Tracking Software that is all “Smoke and Mirrors”:
1) Check the vendor’s career section to see if they use their own applicant tracking software. I was amazed at how many ATS had email addresses for resume submittal.
2) If they tout social media in recruiting, do they even have a presence on those sites?
3) Check their customers’ website to see if their career section is still powered by the ATS. The big fancy fortune 100 company they advertise as a customer may not be using the applicant tracking software that you are considering; instead, they might be a performance management customer. Or, they may have left the vendor completely for greener pastures.
4) Don’t buy it before you try it.
5) Look at the contract with a fine toothed comb. Dig into it to make sure that it lists exactly what the system does; including a definition of the configuration that you purchased.