Have you ever thought about how much paper your company uses during recruiting, hiring, and onboarding? On a new hire’s first day, you can easily churn through a quarter-ream of paper with forms, and the employee handbook.
Going green is more than just a buzz phrase.
One of technology’s promises is to make it easier for us to connect and communicate without using as many resources as we did in the past.
A few years ago, companies might have flown multiple job candidates across the country for face-to-face meetings. Now, these same companies can use web conferencing to meet candidates eye-to-eye, which helps reduce your company’s carbon footprint.
A green hiring and onboarding process is about more than saving the world
Green hiring and onboarding can help save companies time and money by:
- Cutting costs associated with travel expenses
- Reducing administrative costs and time associated with arranging interviews, events, lodging and transportation for candidates.
- Increasing the number of candidates you can meet with, thanks to the relative ease and cost control of web conferencing.
Web conferencing is one of many ways that your company can go green during the hiring and onboarding process. In fact, your applicant tracking system (ATS) includes a number of tools and features that can help green things up.
No matter how green your hiring process is, you want the experience to be as candidate-friendly as possible, especially in today’s competitive hiring environment. How friendly is your application process? Take our short quiz to discover your Candidate Experience Rating.
The average U.S. office worker goes through 10,000 sheets of paper a year. And this number includes a paper-heavy application and onboarding process.
Removing paperwork from your hiring process is only one of the ways your ATS can help you make things greener, not to mention smoother for everyone on your hiring team. Here are a few other benefits that come when you rely on your ATS:
The Benefits of a Green Hiring & Onboarding Process
1. Improved organization
Your ATS puts data at your fingertips 24/7 as long as you’re connected to the web. This means you can say goodbye to digging through piles of paperwork to retrieve resumes, applications, or even the notes you made about a candidate. Your ATS can keep everything stored and organized.
2. Increased accountability
Your ATS includes a timestamp whenever you or another member of the hiring team updates or reviews a candidate’s application. This built-in accountability step provides up-to-the-moment details about the status of every application, along with how your overall hiring process is progressing.
3. Lower costs
Your ATS can help you stretch your overall recruiting budget, which can exceed $4,000 per hire, by cutting costs associated with paper, printers, and toner.
4. Speed up time-to-fill
In addition, your ATS helps you stay organized and aligned with your hiring workflow. This can help you reduce your time-to-fill—hopefully bringing it down from the average of 42 days that some companies experience.
7 Ways to Make Your Hiring and Onboarding Process Greener
- Whenever possible, direct applicants to your online career site. You can also place a computer in your lobby, and invite applicants to apply right then and there.
- Whenever possible, replace employee referral forms with an online referral portal.
- Automate your Work Opportunity Tax Credit process.
- Utilize online assessments, and feed results directly into your ATS.
- Submit background check requests electronically, and request e-signatures for FCRA authorizations and other required forms from applicants.
- Whenever possible, utilize electronic versions of job postings and applications. Most ATS solutions offer an application builder to help create electronic applications.
- Offer new hire paperwork electronically. This can help new hires feel organized on their first day, rather than having to tote around a bunch of pages as they meet and greet coworkers. And it will help you save a few trees in the process.
Hiring and onboarding play out differently for every company. No matter how long your hiring workflow and onboarding programs last, myStaffingPro helps you stay organized, and keep the process as streamlined as possible. Contact a representative today, and find out how we can help you get the most out of the hiring process.