Candidates can be a squirrely bunch. They have jobs that they are trying to maintain and/or they are looking at several opportunities at once. Sometimes getting ahold of them can be a feat. Here are five tips to keep in contact with candidates:
- Connect with them on LinkedIn. LinkedIn’s InMail boasts that you can get a message to any of the 300 million people on LinkedIn. Try it and see if it works for you!
- Converse with them through their preferred method of communication. Do they like to use the phone, email, text, or video chat? Think outside the box and utilize a diverse toolset to get in front of them and keep in contact.
- Ask for a secondary phone number or email. I don’t know about you, but there are several different ways to get ahold of me. Depending on the time of day, some are more successful than others. Ask the candidate for several methods of contact and the best time to get ahold of them. (Bonus points if your applicant tracking system let’s you keep track of all these methods of communication.)
- When in doubt, set an appointment! Schedule a time to talk that is convenient for both of you.
- Be a resource of information. Candidates are often juggling several responsibilities. Make them want to hear from you by providing key information and details that will keep them engaged and informed.